Tuesday 12 May 2009

Developing competencies? Show me the money!

So that is the purpose of personal development without any way of seeing and following that development?

AIESEC uses a leadership based competency model to measure the development of its members towards positive change agents, the objective of the organization. Like all models it only depicts a certain view of reality, but it definitely gives great input for personal development.

As a member of AIESEC I have this really cool access to a competency assessment tool developed together with our partners at Career Innovation. Basically this tool allows me to assess my own competencies based on a series of questions where I assess my own behaviour in situations. When being honest about oneself and ones own behaviour, this allows me to break down and the see the whole picture of my own competencies. In addition, the very same tool can then be used for 360* evaluation.

The very same behavioural questions are asked to those you pick out yourself (teammembers, teamleaders etc.) to assess you, and who can give you honest (it's anonymous in that at least 5 others give their input for it to work) feedback on your competencies.

This then allows me to compare my own assessment of my behaviours and competencies to those made by those working with me. This gives me an understanding of where I actually stand, where I have blind spots, known strenghts/weaknessess, hidden strengths etc.

All this is really cool, of course. Now they have added this awesome thing which gives me the chance to actually publish my results. So here it goes:

http://www.netbiog.com/OutputWindows/Generic.aspx?SiteUsedUID=9296

Basically only one of my profiles so far consists of a full 360* evaluation.

LCVPTM_Q3 is from Q3 2008
LCVPTM_Q4 is from Q4 2008
and the third is from Q2 2009 (that is very recent).  - unfortunately I have not been able to rename this one for now.

I prefer making this public as this allows me to keep accountable towards myself and my own aspirations!

Random note: Today is a beautifully sunny day in Oslo and I am inside studying for exams. Sometimes real WILLPOWER is required! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment