Wednesday 16 September 2009

Coaching Local Committees

Today I spent around 2,5 hours preparing the visit I will have to Bergen in 10 days. I am coaching one of Norway's Local Committees, NHH, this year - which is an amazing opportunity and challenge

Quite Exciting to be coaching a whole Local Committee. The idea is that by supporting the Executive Board (EB) directly towards accomplishing their plan, manage their teams and drive growth, AIESEC Norway will continue growing and reaching it's goals - creating more life changing AIESEC Experiences.

How do you support a whole EB, however? Obviously the drive has to come from the Board itself. Having been on the EB of a Local Commitee myself last year, I know full well that we pretty much wasted the possibility of getting support from our LC coach. We thorugh it was valuable - in theory. But in reality it simply never came top of our list. Of course, it being the first time in a leadership position for most of us, being overwhelmed is not so surprising. Rather than doing the important things that led to the highest possible impact, we probably spent most time beating of seemingly urgent balls that kept flying towards us.

A year later, I truly see this as one of the great missed opportunities of last year. Many of the things we later turned out learning the hard way - or perhaps not learning at all - could have been facilitated had we only chosen differently when it came to this. So with hindsight - yeah - we could have done better.

Now I am working with my LC and I am so anxious to help them see the value of prioritizing the visit and of doing the right things at the right times. In a couple of weeks I guess I will see. I am excited today. Today the President and myself put together a first draft of the agenda and I really like it. He was committed to driving the message.

Again I am amazed at the opportunities and experiences I am getting through AIESEC. As an LC coach we get complicated and advanced responsibilities which in a normal work environment would most certainly not be trusted to a junior.

So cool.



No comments:

Post a Comment