Saturday 13 October 2012

Quarter 1 review

I came to Rotterdam , to be Vice President of Finance of AIESEC International on the 1st of May 2011. That is now 17.5 months ago - and age and a half in AIESEC lingo - where most positions only last 12 months.

Since then I have found it difficult to talk and write about my experiences and my learning. In fact I have found it difficult to write about my path to leadership. I realized this morning why that is.

During this time I haven't always been on that path. Perhaps I strayed other places on the way, into the woods and territory which I didn't want to talk about. At least that is how I have felt. Leadership, to me, is a set of values and a set direction and the commitment, courage and ability to follow that path. Hence, it is always a path.

For many reasons, the period in Rotterdam has not always been that to me.

It's interesting, because I think that if I evaluate my own professional performance it has been good. I have been in the executive leadership body of the world's largest student run organization, with a stated impact of providing a platform for young people to explore and develop their leadership potential. But what happens when I am no longer exploring and developing mine? Or more accurately - when I do not feel that I am doing that?

Well, then it becomes difficult to talk about it - to write about - to share about it. Instead I have focused on execution. Execution of my job, my role, my tasks. Doing stuff - to ensure that the organization is healthy and running well. I am proud of that. I stand by that.

But that is not enough.

I cannot explain exactly what happened to me, in this sense, but it affected a number of arenas, as things always do. My long term relationship ended, my family became more distant again, and my ability to be the best leader I can be diminished. I have spent a lot of time and efforts understanding myself in this period. How can I suddenly become something I do not want to be? What triggers this? What can I do about it.

Why am I writing again now - so openly and clearly?

I am clear in my mind, my heart, my head. I am back on the path. In my second year on AIESEC International, I have again rediscovered the true me. That doesn't mean not making mistakes - but it means having the right direction and values.

Yesterday we reviewed the first quarter of AIESEC International, from July through September. I feel, and I think the team feels, extremely proud of the first quarter. I believe our direction is the right one for this organization. I believe our strategies are the right ones. And I believe we have succeeded so far. Of course there are things we need to adjust and improve. There are some aspects that are working better than others.

But it's empowering - to be part of such a team, so many leaders who carry this organization on their shoulders. It gives me energy - it gives me pride.

Today, a Saturday, I woke up at 08.15, with a clear mind and enthusiasm. This despite working long hours for many months, not least this last week. I have energy and I am happy. For anyone who knows me in the morning, this must come as a shock - so I guess you can imagine.

I am back on my path to leadership. And I hope to be able to write about.

Thank you for your patience.

1 comment:

  1. Good leaders need good insight. Which you have tons of. Keep on going! Looking forward to another coffee whenever you're in town.
    - Camilla

    ReplyDelete