Sunday 22 February 2009

Team

It is sunday evening, and I have barely slept for the last week. I am sitting on my sofa and in a not too long it will hit me how tired I should be.

But I can't really feel it right now. Right now I feel empowered in a way that I cannot remember ever having been empowered. What a feeling to be part of a team where people give everything and stretch themselves beyond what you would ever expect to deliver on a plan, on a goal on a vision.

We had Local Seminar this weekend. My team has spent so much time in order to get this weekend JUST RIGHT. All of them were holding sessions (brilliantly might I add). All of them were stepping up and taking responsibility not only for themselves - but for others. Not because I told them to, not because they were required to. They just did it.

I am proud. Really, really proud. I am proud of our team and what we are doing. I think I am starting to learn some really invaluable lessons when it comes to leading a team. Direction and vision - quite simply common PURPOSE - is a drop of magic that empowers people to go beyond themselves, to support one another, standing shoulder to shoulder to carry on towards a common direction.

I was getting tearful today when I was trying to tell them how I felt. I almost couldn't even finish the sentence, as I was close to having tears of pride and joy running down my cheeks. It really feels like we are becoming a great team now. It really feels like we are going places where I have never been before in my life.

What amazing feeling - and what a dangerous feeling... All of a sudden one raises ones eyes and sees that sky's the limit. Never-ending opportunities, never-ending goals that one could reach out and grab if one wants to. Who's going to stop you? Who is going to tell you that it cannot be done?

There are no limits to what can be done. I am never ever going to let anyone tell me that something is too ambitious, that something cannot be done, that something is too much. The limits we see are limits we set for ourselves in our mind. In some absurd attempt to shield our mind off from the thoughts, feelings, creativity, imagination, dreams, hopes and wishes that we actually have. That we actually see clearly in front of us when we are sleeping late at night, when we are reflecting upon our own reality, future and ideas.

Why do we limit ourselves to this degree? I do not know.

Perhaps team is the solution? That feeling of being a part of something larger, where one dares to unfold oneself, and push oneself? Perhaps here the limits can be erased?

I am honoured to have a team to lead like the one I have. They are more than patient with me, always willing to support me and listen to me, even in my most crazy moments. They give me an energy and and a joy which I cannot describe. Thank you.

Where do we push on from here? We will see tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment