Tuesday 23 June 2009

Learning: fast mode

The last couple of days have been really full of input. Learning about the current reality of functional subsystems really gave an excellent overview of the whole organizations.

What really amazes me is how unaware I can still be about my own behaviour sometimes. Today I was asked by someone whether I was unhappy at what was being delivered and whether I espected more. That coulnd't be further from the truth! I feel like I have learnt so much, and really starting to connect some dots in my head.

I also found it extremely inspiring to see all the challenges that the old national board had faced, and how they had chosen to face them. Real leadership includes som real tough decisions, and they faced some of the toughest. Real leadership also includes setting goals that are above and beyond oneself, which have a common purpose, and they surely did that. What inspired me the most though was that having faced some really tough times, and not succeeding within certain areas they were not giving up, even now, with only 1 week left of their term.

Instead, they were soberly and clearvisioned describing and sharing their experiences in detail, giving input on what they believe they could have done, but also accepting that they had not found all the magic keys. For me, this honesty is leadership. It scares and challenges, but it also empowers and inspires me.

And then I realize that my own body language, and perhaps comments, when faced with this input and my mind working at 200% all day long - analyzing and hypothesizing, I am giving the impression that I am unhappy and aloof. No. Not the case. However, the truth is in the eye of the beholder. And if that is the message I am sending, then it is true because its effects are real. Wow. Learning, learning AND more learning.

On an entirely different note, today was a real summer day for Norwegian standards. This can only make you happy! Blue skyes, warm, no wind, and generally the whole world preparing for vacation. It's also quite sad though, that as vacation approaches for the world, all I want to do is work, perform, challenge myself, drive results. Non-alignment with the outside world? Yes, perhaps...

Right now I am just waiting for an online conference call. In the beginning of August all the national boards of AIESEC in the Nordic Countries (Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Iceland and Norway) are going to deliver the most amazing of all conferences: Scandinavian Leadership Development Seminar, or SCALDS for short. This is truly an amazing experience, and most people who have ever goine have truly loved it. It's one of those situations where the right people being together at the right time doing the right things leads to amazing results. Wow!

However, preparing for this the countries speak to make an amazing agenda, which truly empowers and develops the leaders, primarily local level Executive Boards, of AIESEC in the Nordic countries. 5 countries, different realities, different expectations, and online meetings. Difficult to say the least - but extremely rewarding and challenging in the end. We are 1 agenda responsible from each country, with the person from Denmark actually the final responsible.

This is also what AIESEC is all about. Put people in a room together from all over the world. While I am a Norwegian representing Norway, AIESEC Sweden is being represented by a Colombian, AIESEC Denmark by an Indian, AIESEC Finland by a Finnish and AIESEC Iceland by a Dane. So we have a team of 5, coming from 5 different countries, representing 5 countries, in total 7 different countries (!) and 3 continents (!).

I love AIESEC.

And we are working together to deliver this amazing conference. The challenges in communication, expectation setting, culture, understanding, ways of working etc. is something that might be frustrating but is viewed simply as another challenge to be overcome. If the world worked like this, then I guess AIESEC could take a vacation as well. Hard day at the office? Be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment