Monday 26 January 2009

"A case of the mondays"

Today made me think of that phrase from "Office Space". I love that movie! Absolutely fantastic.

It should be obligatory viewing really, about the dangers of living a life in a modern world without consideration for what one enjoys doing and where one wants to go in life. So f***ing great! And funny too.

In any case I wonder what "the mondays" means. I mean, I understand that it means what we call "blÄmandag" in Norwegian (literally blue monday). It means that after the weekend where presumably one has been relaxing it can be harsh to return to the daily struggles of work/school or whatever it is one days on a monday. However, this whole concept basically presumes that what one does on a monday isn't really what one wants to be doing. It is the weekend (presumably) that is great, where one can do whatever one wants. Which, again, one cannot supposedly do on a monday, or any other day of the 5-day week.

Well - that is quite simply - awful! To live ones life, that is, by definition 5/7 (71%) of ones life in order to have a great weekend is surely the worst invention humans have ever come up with. I mean, you spend most of your life, in order to have a good time the remains of your life.

I don't think I have the mondays. I mean, I appreciate a good weekend with a different schedule as well, but it's during the week that I do what I love. Interacting with people, learning, challenging myself, having fun, being stressed (in a good way!) etc.

My attitude is that if people are having the mondays then they are not doing the right thing in their life, or they are not doing that thing the right way for them. It's like Steve Jobs says in that speech online from his speech at Stanford that you should live every day like its your last and that if your own answer to that is no for too many days in a row, you should change something. Probably that was entirely misquoted but that's what I understand out of it anyways.

People will tell me that "sometimes you have to do things you don't like in order to get things you like later", and surely they are right, at least on some basic level. However, my general answer would be - "really?". "Are you sure?". "Why?". I mean, surely things can be great and fun and exciting to a varying degree, but I believe that mostly one can find great and fun things every day - and every monday in particular. I mean - a new week is new beginnings, just like any morning is. What a great day that particular day might turn out to be!

Are you having a bad case of the mondays? You should ask yourself why and do something to change that. Starting next monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment